Muses Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Muses Of Metal forum

Guest!!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mark's new project: MaYaN

Go down 
+9
ElineEpica
antlanet
Hapfairy
Bram
NocturnalConcerto
AmeliaInvidia
Sorcha
Lady Draconian
daisy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
daisy
Lost
Lost

Number of posts : 15
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-10-26

Mark's new project: MaYaN Empty
PostSubject: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 1:35 pm

So Mark founded a new band together with Jack Driessen (After Forever) and Frank Schiphorst. The topic is obviously one of Mark's favorites: Mayan culture.

From their myspace:
Mark Jansen's (EPICA) new band, founded together with Jack Driessen (ex AFTER FOREVER) and Frank Schiphorst, is called MaYaN, named after the wise and rich mayan culture.

'There was only one record label we wanted to sign with: Nuclear Blast, so we didn't even look for other companies to work with and we're very happy that this appreciation is mutual!

The debut album will be recorded and mixed at the end of the year 2010 and the beginning of 2011 by Sascha Paeth. We're also stoked to announce that Jeroen Paul Thesseling (PESTILENCE, OBSCURA), known for his signature six-string fretless playing in progressive death metal, will join as permanent member on bass guitar. Also Isaac Delahaye and Arien van Weesenbeek (EPICA) will complete the line up!

The release of the album will take place around May 2011 and the CD presentation will take place at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. The music is a mixture of death, black and progressive metal combined with symphonic orchestral arrangements. We'll work with some very interesting guests and these will be announced very soon!'
http://www.myspace.com/mayanofficial#ixzz13kpmfj4a

They also post alot of videos about their recording process on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/mayanofficial

So, what do think?
Back to top Go down
Lady Draconian
Pale Enchantress
Pale Enchantress
Lady Draconian

Female
Number of posts : 20598
Humor : ( . ) ( . )
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Tristania, Closterkeller, Van Canto, Seduce The Heaven, Within Temptation
Your Band Name : Sea Of Echoes, Carmella's Curse
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm not too sure about this project, I mean all of these are talented but I'm not sure if this will be my thing.
Back to top Go down
http://withmyfaceturnedtothesun.tumblr.com/
daisy
Lost
Lost

Number of posts : 15
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 2:38 pm

The stuff I heard through the videos seemed to me alot like an Epica-Clone, just harder and without a regular female voice (maybe there'll be guest appareances). It's all orchestral and alot of choire...so basically somthing I might like, but nothing new.
Back to top Go down
Sorcha
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
Sorcha

Female
Number of posts : 3858
Humor : You wouldn't want to know..
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Tarja, Delain, Marenne, Within Temptation, Epica.
Member Points :

Registration date : 2010-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 4:04 pm

So far everything I heard sounded great Smile.
Back to top Go down
AmeliaInvidia
Lost
Lost
AmeliaInvidia

Female
Number of posts : 7
Humor : Witty
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Tarja
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:12 pm

I think this will be a new twist for Epica. I'm actually looking forward to their material Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/emiliametal
NocturnalConcerto
Tristania Lover
Tristania Lover
NocturnalConcerto

Female
Number of posts : 2775
Humor : The Sins Of The Beloved, Tristania
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Nightwish
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue90 / 10090 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 5:18 pm

I'll looking for this material but no clue if I'll buy the album!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ethearealdream
Bram
Lost
Lost

Male
Number of posts : 22
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Epica, After Forever, MaYaN, Shalott Smile
Your Band Name : Shalott
Member Points :

Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:11 pm

I am still waiting for the album, I might enjoy listening to it but I not too much. Music wise I don't like all of the chord progressions that I heard on the teaser.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reverbnation.com/shalott
Sorcha
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
Sorcha

Female
Number of posts : 3858
Humor : You wouldn't want to know..
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Tarja, Delain, Marenne, Within Temptation, Epica.
Member Points :

Registration date : 2010-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I also listened to the teaser and I expected it to be something different. But then most of the songs do sound interesting.
Back to top Go down
Hapfairy
Overseer
Overseer
Hapfairy

Female
Number of posts : 1310
Humor : 'Join us next week on 'Let's Make No Fucking Sense' where I will be waxing an owl.'
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation
Your Band Name : If I had one, I would call it Harlequin Valentine. Razz
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue40 / 10040 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Sounds cool Razz I would definitely listen to it.
Back to top Go down
http://hapfairy.blogspot.com/
Bram
Lost
Lost

Male
Member Points :

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Bram wrote:
I am still waiting for the album, I might enjoy listening to it but I not too much. Music wise I don't like all of the chord progressions that I heard on the teaser.

Hmm after listening to Drown The Demon, I have to rephrase that. I love it, I do not think it's an Epica clone at all! Surely going to listen to it over and over again.
Back to top Go down
antlanet
Lost
Lost

Number of posts : 21
Member Points :

Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 4:48 pm

I haven't really started my adventure with MaYaN so far but after a few listenings I think it'll suit me. At the moment The Sinner's Last Retreat is my favourite Wink
Back to top Go down
Hapfairy
Overseer
Overseer
Hapfairy

Female
Humor : 'Join us next week on 'Let's Make No Fucking Sense' where I will be waxing an owl.'
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue40 / 10040 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 6:07 pm

I think my expectations were too high :-/ I love all the ingredients, sure, but I don't think it's my style of music. Seems too progressive and a bit all over the place. I do like some of the songs though.
Back to top Go down
ElineEpica
Head Up High
Head Up High
ElineEpica

Female
Number of posts : 114
Humor : Quite silly actually
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : 1. Epica, as you might have noticed! Smile
2. Amaranthe
3. Tarja Turunen
4. Nightwish
5. After Forever/ReVamp
6. Stream of Passion
7. Within Temptation
Member Points :

Registration date : 2011-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 7:07 pm

^ Same here. I guess the only reason why I actually like them is because it's a bit like Epica..
Back to top Go down
http://www.Eline.t83.net/
Hapfairy
Overseer
Overseer
Hapfairy

Female
Member Points :

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Haha yep! I mean if it wasn't for the Epica and Floor connection it wouldn't be the sort of thing I'd listen to at all.
Back to top Go down
LadyNightfall
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
LadyNightfall

Female
Number of posts : 3019
Humor : Muhaha
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Nightwish, Epica, Xandria, Leaves' Eyes, Lyriel, Liv Moon, Evenoir, After Forever
Member Points :

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:18 am

^ Same with me. I was only interessted in it because it's an Epica side project. After listening to the album I have to say it's not my cup of tea. But maybe I'll need to listen to it more often to get into it, I'm not giving up yet Razz
Back to top Go down
shizumaru
Lost
Lost
shizumaru

Number of posts : 26
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Within Temptation
Your Band Name : Sinking the Black Pearl
Member Points :

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Hum, I think it's amazing! One of the albuns of the year imo. of course, it's somekind of symphonic progressive death metal, and I somewhat enjoyed it! my fave song is "Course of Life". :p
Back to top Go down
Universe
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
Universe

Male
Number of posts : 4460
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Epica, Mandragora Scream, In Silentio Noctis, Amaranthe, 2 Times Terror, HB, UnSun, Eilera, Darzamat, Kivimetsän Druidi, Villieläin, Depressed Mode
Your Band Name : EneUniverse
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue70 / 10070 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Oh 'Quarterpast' is just fantastic! It's certainly not easy album to get into, but it's worth it. It's one of the most technical albums I've ever heard, surpassing a lot of great bands. The vocal lines and choirs are all top quality, but some of the riffs are bit off imo. Like the main riff of 'Bite The Bullet' (written by Sander Gommans) is just plain boring, then again rest of the song is really good. The high notes on chorus by Simone, pure love. Another example of riffing that i'm not into is the main riff of 'The Savage Massacre'.

My favorite songs are Celibate Aphrodite, Drown The Demon and War On Terror. Cant wait for the video of the latter one Very Happy

Btw Simone did incredible job on the album! She sounds so emotional and beautiful on 'Mainstay Of Society'.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
Hapfairy
Overseer
Overseer
Hapfairy

Female
Member Points :

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 3:48 pm

I think I need to keep listening to it. I really want to like it, I just found it hard to listen to Razz

I just need to ignore the silly speaking bits I think, hehe.
Back to top Go down
Universe
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
Universe

Male
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Epica, Mandragora Scream, In Silentio Noctis, Amaranthe, 2 Times Terror, HB, UnSun, Eilera, Darzamat, Kivimetsän Druidi, Villieläin, Depressed Mode
Member Points :
Mark's new project: MaYaN Left_bar_bleue70 / 10070 / 100Mark's new project: MaYaN Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 3:52 pm

I actually absolutely love the speaking parts on Celibate Aphrodite! The one with the doomy riff on the backround, ''The sinner asks for forgiveness, but what would you do?'' Razz I thought that one was just brilliant.

Another great thing about the album i forgot to mention, the totally wicked and batshit crazy synth solos!! The one on Symphony Of Aggression is just, psychotic perfection Razz
Back to top Go down
Hapfairy
Overseer
Overseer
Hapfairy

Female
Member Points :

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 4:39 pm

It's not the words... it's the silly voice they do them in Razz Who actually speaks them anyway? It's like a weird fake American accent...

It's the same with the bits in Kingdom of Heaven, one of my friends actually started laughing and told me to turn it off because he thought it was so awful Razz
Back to top Go down
Universe
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
Universe

Male
Member Points :

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 4:43 pm

It's Arien the drummer! Very Happy He does all the voice-overs on DYU and Quarterpast. Most likely on the next Epica record aswell. Somehow i enjoy even the funny part on KOH, it's so goofy it fits there haha.
Back to top Go down
Hapfairy
Overseer
Overseer
Hapfairy

Female
Member Points :

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Ohhh, I love Arien, he has a weird voice though! Razz
Back to top Go down
Universe
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
Universe

Male
Member Points :

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Haha i love him too! His imitations are priceless..
Back to top Go down
whorehoundine
A New Decade
A New Decade
whorehoundine

Female
Number of posts : 885
Humor : Sick and twisted.
Your Favourite Femme Metal Band : Within Temptation / Lacuna Coil / Draconian / Tristania / Mortal Love / Katra / Leaves Eyes' / Diablo Swing Orchestra / Sirenia / Nightwish / Therion / Tarja
Member Points :

Registration date : 2011-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I like it. I was put off by War of Terror first as I couldn't understand it, but now I can safely say I really like them. But I don't think those symphonic influences are necessary, imo they'd do much better as a progressive death metal band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/RinaSpk
Bram
Lost
Lost

Male
Member Points :

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Just seen them 2 times live 29-9-11 and 30-9-11, what a powerfull live act! Also I directly bought their cd straight after the show. As far as I know, the guitar amps and stuff are on it's wait to Ieper as I saw their transport van driving through my street. So who ever is going to see them there. You won't regret!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark's new project: MaYaN   Mark's new project: MaYaN I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mark's new project: MaYaN
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next